We made it to Amarillo with a few minutes to spare. (JM flight was scheduled for 6 pm.) We stopped by Cadilac Ranch on the west side of Amarillo. The kids had fun spray painting the already totally graffitied cars! All the kids asked was "why did the man bury the cars like this?" Nether JM or I remember the story so we will have to look it up for them soon, or at least before I scrapbook this. (OK - that gives me at least a year or two.)
We dropped JM off by 4:30 at the airport. He quickly learned that his flight had been delayed, he was going to miss his connection in Dallas, and he had to scramble for an earlier flight. He worked it all out, but the luggage arrived to Montgomery a few days later!
I continued on my journey to Eastland after dropping JM off. JM and I had discussed the possibility of me driving on to Eastland tonight so the kids could get some alone time with their Mimi and Uncle Matthew (who they have not seen in years). JM called ahead for me. Much to the kids disappointment, Mimi called an hour later and told us that she did not want us to come this evening. Thank goodness my parents did not close their door to us for the night. The kids were very disappointed. They really wanted to see Mimi before their cousins got there the next day even if it was only for a few hours before she had to take Matthew to the airport.
Monday, December 29 - The kids and I enjoyed a nice morning on Grammy's farm. They always enjoy the cats, cows, and 4 wheelers. My mom treated me to a trip into town for a massage. It was wonderful and released a lot of stress and tension from my old body!
By 5:35 pm, Mimi called and said that she was ready for us to come over. We packed up AGAIN, and moved over to Mimi's house. The kids enjoyed seeing everyone, opened gifts from Mimi, and played with their cousins. Lyndsey continued to battle a respiratory bug, and Lauren broke out in a rash from head to toe after bathing with Mimi's foam soap! Other than that, the night was pretty eventless. The kids made the most of the cards they were dealt!
Tuesday, December 30 - This morning I was determined to get out and go for a jog/walk at the track across from Mimi's house. I was drownding in the silence created by my mother-in-law. I managed 2.5 miles this morning in 30 minutes. The exercise did help me feel a lot better physically, emotionally, and spiritually (thanks to my trusty ipod full of great music). Mimi decided that I should watch the kids for a little while so she could go get her hair done. I guess she could not find the time while her son was here last week, but while her grandchildren are here playing without her is the perfect time. It did give me a chance to get a good pic of the cousins together to surprise her with later.
Tyler was counting the hours all day because he knew Preston (a 2nd cousin from AL) would be in Eastland this evening. As I have said before, he really looks up to Preston and loves to spend time with him. It helps that they do share a few things in common! Corynne was also excited because Preston comes with sisters that are her age!
Our Eastland visit was completed with a dinner and visitation with Uncle Terry and Aunt Sheryl, Uncle Tommy and Aunt Kelly, and Aunt Rebecca and all their kids. Mimi even let Preston sleep over with Tyler tonight. The boys had a great time.
New Years Eve - The kids and I got up this morning and loaded the car for the next to the last time. (Is it obvious that I am tired of dragging around all this junk?!?!) We dropped Preston off at the hotel with his mother on our way out of town. We have a long drive ahead of us today. We are going all the way to Pearl, MS.
We pulled into Pearl at 7 pm. We decided to go see the movie Marley & Me. Tyler had read the book last week and had been asking to go to the movie ever since. No problem. There is a 7:25 showing and it is rated PG. Well, it should have been rated PG-13 for all the language and sexual content! I guess that is what I get for not reading about it first! We checked into the hotel and got Lyndsey asleep. We watched the ball drop twice (at 11pm and 12pm) and Rodney Dangerfield jump the volcano in Las Vegas (very anti-climatic)! HAPPY NEW YEAR!
January 1 - We met my friend, Susan, for breakfast this morning at Cracker Barrel. It was very sweet of her to take a little time away from her family to eat with us. I enjoyed our visit despite my crazy kids!
We arrived in Montgomery by 4:30 this afternoon. JM was already home to greet us. We sure missed him. IT IS GREAT TO BE HOME!
Wow, you made the trip sound like so much fun! I know that there were moments, but it sounds wonderful. I am really impressed that you worked out while you were on vacation. You're awesome! So glad that you made it home safely.
ReplyDeleteYOU ARE CRAZY! and here i thought i did a great job flying in 4 planes with 4 kids to & from MD without my husband... you win! can't wait to hear more about it at hip-hop ;)
ReplyDelete