Saturday, January 24, 2009

3 wins for the Vermillion's

I really enjoyed watching my kiddos play basketball today.  Lauren scored a goal for her team, and as far as she is concerned they won.  Pretty nice that they do not actually keep score at their level.  Corynne's team actually did win a very close game.  This was their first week to have actual refs which made a huge difference in their game!  Oh, Corynne scored 2 baskets for her team.  Tyler's team pulled another victory this week.  He is a strong player for their team.  He scored 14 points this week.  I overheard a few parents (for the other team) who were sitting behind me yell to their kids, "Don't let #45 (Tyler) get the ball, he scores everytime!!!"  I never turned around to look behind me, but I was laughing inside!  I just continued to cheer for my team without prejudge toward my son.  I was proud of him b/c what I saw was a kid benched the first period (b/c Mom kept him from practice this week - but that is another issue for another time), a kid who cheered on his teammates from the bench when they were down, a kid who came in the 2nd period and helped his team catch up, a kid who sat out another period later on because that was his rotation (remember Upward plays with different rules), a kid that returned to the game and pulled his team ahead, and finally a kid  who fed the ball to his teammates so they could get points on the board when he had the open shot.  He has come so far in the last few years from the kid who was all about himself and never gave the ball up to a teammate.  That kid was hard to watch play a team sport!  I was so proud at the end of the game to turn to a grandmother sitting beside me (of the opposite team who let me know many times who she was routing for)  "#45 is my son and didn't he play a great game!"  

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I had to cry. He's come so far! I'm proud of him for you! It's wonderful to watch (or hear about) the kids grow. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete