Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Seder Feast

Each year the 3rd Grade class at the girls' school participates in a Seder Feast led by the headmaster, Mr. Geiger.  About 2 months ago, the other room mom called me to see who was in charge of this little celebration!  I was completely shocked to see my name as the coordinator for the Seder Feast.  I just laughed because I had no clue what a Seder Feast was.  (I assume that when I took down the parent sign-up sheets at the beginning of school, there was a few blanks left.  Since I had not signed up for anything, I filled my name in to do my part.)  Okay.  I do what I say I will do.

Within the next few days, I met with the teachers and principal to see what I was supposed to do!  I have to admit I was feeling very nervous and out of my element.  They kept saying, "oh, Misty, you will do a great job."  (Obviously, they think more of me than I do!  They like my snack room feast each month, but I do not think that is what we are going for today!)  Then, the principal said to give a former parent Deena Weston a call and I felt a sigh of relief!  I know her, and she goes to a Messianic Jewish congregation.  She will get me through this!  The next day I called Deena.  Deena graciously said, "Misty, you get this list of supplies.  I will bring this list.  This is want we will do.  I will be there on Thursday morning to help set up."  WOW!  Deena is such a blessing.  A blessing that I have really learned a lot from this week.  I met Deena the first year that we were in Montgomery, and she goes to our church.  But we really do not see each other that much anymore.  She is a book full of information and Godly advice.  I cannot express how much I enjoyed learning from her this week.  Thank you.

I really enjoyed the morning.  Deena explained the history, significance of each item we prepared, and the parallels to Christ.  WOW!  Mr. Geiger led the feast.  The children learned a lot and did a great job.  

At each table...

Talking about the 10 plagues on Egypt before the people were allowed to leave...
Tasting the bitter herbs (parsley dipped in salt water) to symbolize the slavery in Egypt.
At the beginning and the end of the feast we did a traditional Jewish dance.  

I am interested in learning much more about the feasts of our Lord in the near future.  I believe this is something we will do as a family in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Great job! Wait, did't you live in Baltimore-in the middle of a HUGE Jewish population-for a year? Hmmmmm, it didn't rub off on you? The different symbols are amazing when they are explained. It's so cool that your kid's school teaches them such things.

    ReplyDelete