Friday, May 30, 2014

We raised Butterflies!

Our caterpillars arrived on Lauren's birthday!  We prepared their little food containers and moved the little caterpillars to the containers.
We had fun watching them grow and grow and grow.  Not all of the caterpillars made it to the Chrysalis stage!  Not sure what we did wrong!
 On May 11th, Dad helped transfer the Chrysalis to the butterfly net.
 Then the waiting began!!!  The girls watched everyday (or so I thought) for the butterflies to emerge!  in the meantime, we worked puzzles and games to learn the life cycle of the butterfly!
On May 18th, I walked by the net on the way to church and didn't see anything.  Then I got a text from JM as he was leaving for work with a picture of a butterfly!  The girls could not wait to get home to see it! 

 We went form 0 to 4 by bedtime.  Then the next day 4 more emerged during breakfast!  We ended up with 13 butterflies!!! It was a beautiful process to study and watch.  Our God is so creative!  (Oh, we just fed them sugar water not Cinnamon Sugar!  It was just the perfect size bottle to create our feeder!)  The girls could be found with their hand in the net catching butterflies anytime of the day!  They loved to play with them!  They only set one free in the house, but I was able to catch it and return it to the net!
 Today, we said "bye-bye" to our beautiful butterflies!  We hope they survive in our yard!  This science project was so much fun that I am quite sure we will repeat it next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment