The girls read the American Girl Addy Series during our December Fun School. It was our "history" for the month, and the series completed our Civil War study. Lauren prepared a storyboard for the first book Meet Addy for our homeschool book fair on January17th. The girls look forward to have the American Girl parties as part of our history study each quarter. I had planned on having this party right after the 1st of the year, but I got sick and we went to the Fiesta Bowl. I told the girls we would have the party on that Monday holiday in January. WOW! That Monday holiday in January took me by surprise because I did not even notice it was coming until the Friday before. Luckily, I was able to text all the moms and go to the store during the weekend to pull this party together FAST!!!
Lauren and Lyndsey made a Sweet Potato Pie and Benne Candy from The American Girls Party Book for the party this morning.
I tried to pull in as many elements from the book as possible this time. We talked about the Underground Railroad and how Addie and her mother had to look for the lanterns for the secret hideouts. The girls made mandala boards from egg cartons, and Tyler came down to teach them how to play the game.
Corynne helped the girls make spool puppets, and then she provided urgent care for each one of them as they kept falling apart! Then the girls each painted a yellow canary like the canary that Addie loved to watch at the boarding house where she lived in Philadelphia.
The girls tried to play Double Dutch with some rope that we had, but were not successful! It was a great party to celebrate life in the Civil War Era!



No comments:
Post a Comment