Tuesday, September 24, 2013

On the Farm (Weeks 1-4)

This school year I signed up the girls for a farm class at Hempstead Urban/Neighborhood Farm.  I thought the class would pair nicely with our Apologia Botany Study!
Every other Tuesday, we go over to Farm Class with Farmer Mark.  (examining the flower in the bottom right corner).  He is really good with the kids, and learning is FUN!  Week #1 was a tour of the farm.  He let the kids each try a tomato (grape variety I think it was) and they picked cucumbers for the restaurant and sampled a few!  They also divided up into Chicken Care groups.  Each week the class is responsible for chicken care duties like cleaning the water jar, putting out fresh straw, feeding the chickens, and gathering eggs.
Week #2 - I really thought Farmer Mark had planned too much for the day! 
Goals for the Day:
Chicken Care
Remove weeds from Homeschool Bed
Plant crops in Homeschool Bed
August soil testing
I looked at that bed and thought, "we only have 1.5 hours left in this class!"  Many hands makes a large job small!  They had the bed cleaned out in 30 minutes flat!  Then they partnered off, made stakes, and planted their food item.  See why I chose this class!  Now, I do not have to plant anything for our Botany class!  Right?!?!  
Next, they divided back different groups (I think) and choose a bed on the farm to conduct their soil testing.  Each month they will test the same soil to chart the changes and how different weather, bugs, and crops effect the soil.  Oh my, this is so cool! 
Farm Class #3 - Farmer Mark taught us about the different kinds of farm hand tools, how to use them, and how to clean them.  Clean them -- really, there is a way to keep them clean so they last longer!  I was raised on a farm and I never did this!  After chicken care and farm tools, we did farm investigations.  We investigated and observed a soil sample for what was in it.  
Week #4 -  This week was leaf and root evaluation week.  Lyndsey perked up when Farmer Mark started talking about leave margins since we had just covered leaves for 2 weeks in our Botany course.  They went out into the farm and pulled roots to bring to the group.  Then they told the group what kind of root it was.  The kids also did a reflection time where they sat in one some and recorded their observations close-up, on the farm, and in the distance.  They will do this again later and compare how the season has changed the farm.
This class is perfect for us this year!  The kids look forward to going to the farm every other Tuesday morning.  They are a little disappointed on the weeks we have "off from farm work". (Or are they just bummed because we are in the classroom on those Tuesday mornings!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment