Saturday, February 28, 2009

I think I have completely lost it!

11 years ago I had to have emergency gall bladder surgery on Thanksgiving Day.  I  must admit that after 4 years of medical school, I knew JM was a smart cookie.  But it was not until the night before Thanksgiving 1998 that I truly believed that he really knew what he was doing!  I don't mean that in a negative way.  I just saw him as a student, and I had never seen him "in action".  That night, he diagnosed me with in minutes and rushed me to the ER.  He turned me over to his 5th year chief for the operation the next morning.  Now here is were my story today begins!  This very GOOD surgeon did a horrible job closing me up, and he turned my belly button into a 2 inch long vertical hole.  It has bothered me for years, and I do not know why it bothered me because I am not a "bikini girl" so no one sees it!  

Well, JM has told me for years that it would be easy to fix.  About a month ago, JM had heard enough so he set me up with a surgeon to fix the scar!  I went yesterday to have my "minor procedure" done.  All of you who truly know me, this was not a minor procedure for someone who faints at the sight or thought of blood or open wounds!  I decided that I would brave this procedure by myself since it was just crazy to ask JM to take off work to hold my hand.  I survived the procedure without passing out or throwing up!  Yeah!  (Did I mention that I had not eaten for over 15 hours before I went into his office! And I had no diet restrictions for this procedure!)  

Everything was great and no big deal until about 7 hours later.  Then the pain set in!  Now I am wondering why did I do this to myself!  And why did I turn down the pain med prescription?  Hopefully, the end result which I will not truly see for 10 days will be worth this pain.

On a positive note, JM has always been very alert and careful when performing all his surgeries as to not leave such a mess on his patients!  I guess he learned something from me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment