Cheer Comissioner: "We need a coach for your daughters' team. Would you be willing to coach?"
As John Mark and Tyler are shaking their heads and mouthing "Don't do it!", that 3 letter word "yes" slipped out.
I hung up the phone, and I immediately regretted saying "yes". I don't have time to STAY at every practice. How is this ever going to work?
I guess I was meant to do it or I have an amazing family because it all worked out every week. Tyler decided to focus solely on tennis and not play basketball, our cheer practice was on Thursday night, and the practice was late enough that I could go to Corynne's in town games first. Thursday is also JM's afternoon off, and he graciously assumed dinner duty on Thursday nights. Thursday nights became burger or steak sandwich nights, and he always had dinner ready when we got home after 7.
As for the actual coaching of cheer, that did not come as easy for me! I had to learn 6 girls names, 20 plus cheers & chants, and 2 pom-pom dance routines to teach the girls. We did it! They laughed at me when they got it right some weeks and I kept messing it up! They worked so work every week, and I was so proud of them. They ROCKED their half-time performance every week! Everyone was always commenting on how good they were!
Ten weeks later...I am glad I experienced Upward Cheer with my girls. Will I coach again? I am not sure because it was more work than I really had time for and I am learning to say "no" to things that do not build UP my family.
Let's Go Upward!





No comments:
Post a Comment