We are originally from Texas. JM & I were born and raised in Texas, and we had never lived anywhere else until we were both 30! Three of our children were born in the heart of The Bluebonnet State, and one of my favorite times of the year is when the bluebonnets bloom. It is such a beautiful wildflower, and I absolutely am in awe every time I see one (even pictures of them). To me, nothing sings "Texas" like a bluebonnet!
We have been in Alabama for 8.5 years. It shocks me to even type 8.5 years because it doesn't seem like we have been here that long, and I still feel clueless to many of the Alabamian ways! The whole public school verses private school and property taxes verses state taxes and Alabama verses Auburn. Seriously, I don't care who wins the Iron Bowl! Oh, and the state flower Camellia really is just another pink flower to me. I guess you can take the girl out of Texas, but you can not take the Texas out of the girl!
There is one thing here in Alabama that does draw my attention this time of year… The Fields of Cotton. Yes, Texas has fields of cotton. I was raised in field of peanuts though, so cotton really does not scream Texas to me. Cotton does sing "Sweet Home Alabama" to me. We have driven by so many fields of cotton since moving to Alabama. I look out over the fields and it reminds me of the rich history of Alabama--from cotton plantations and slavery to the Montgomery bus riots and freedom for all. These fields tell a story to me. OK, I will stop there because anyone who knows me knows that I do not like history! I have developed a liking for it the last few years, and it is these types of things that pull me in to read more! I think I may be getting old!
I saw a friend post on Facebook some pictures of her family in the cotton fields a few weeks ago, and the idea really appealed to me! Then, a photographer friend posted that she wanted to take some pictures in the cotton fields and I jumped at the opportunity. JM and his cotton phobia (strange for a doctor) did not stop us!
I think the pictures turned out beautiful. Our little family is making our home here in Alabama.
Tyler is 15 3/4, taller than his dad, a sophomore and an amazing tennis player! He is so ready for his drivers license, and so are we!
Corynne is 13 3/4. She is our sweet, helpful, dependable teenager!
Lauren is 10 1/2. Lauren is 10 going on 16! She is all about being a teenage girl…geezz…just slow down and enjoy the moment!
Lyndsey is 7. She is our firecracker! She is always full of energy! She is our blonde-headed, blue-eyed princess who loves to build forts all over the house!Colleen is 3 3/4. She is my baby, but every time I say that she responds "I a big girl and I 'free'!"







No comments:
Post a Comment