I had to add this to my blog. It was forwarded to meI am a General Surgeon. I endeavor to not think or speak too highly of myself, but neither will I diminish the importance of my craft.
I am the one who gets out of bed at 4 a.m. to come to your aid when your appendix has ruptured and you are suffering the agony of your peritonitis.
I am the one who will resect your perforated diverticulitis and watch over you while you lay unconscious and ventilated in the ICU.
I am the one who will oversew your duodenal ulcer before you bleed to death.
I am the one who will cut out your colon cancer, and put the ends of your intestine back together again.
I am the one who will remove your shattered spleen when you've been in your automobile accident.
I am the one who WILL get IV access when you need your medications and nobody else has been able to get the stick.
I am the one who will hold your hand and cry with you when I tell you the biopsy came back positive. Then I will look you in the eye and tell you how we're going to beat back that monster together.
I am the one who will fix the hernia that keeps you from being able to do your job, and get rid of the hemorrhoids that you're too embarrassed to tell anybody are making your life miserable.
I am the one who will remove your gallbladder when it has become filled with stones, and do it with two sticks and a video camera through incisions that will barely be noticeable 6 months from now.
I have spent years of my life studying the human body to get to this point. I have spent a king's ransom on my education. I spent the best years of my youth making sacrifices for my goal and being a little more serious than my peers. I have asked my family to continually make sacrifices for your benefit. I do it because I love what I do and I care deeply about you, my patient. I do it despite the fact that my kids will once again have dinner without their father tonight and my wife will wonder what time I might be coming home. I do it in spite of the attorneys who are waiting for me to make a single mistake, and the malpractice insurance that costs more than many people make in a year. I have been forced to accept ever decreasing reimbursement while facing ever increasing overhead costs. I have not complained when you "forgot" your co-pay, or failed to pay the balance of your bill for months on end because you are now feeling better and it seems a little less important than it once did. I have dealt with the endless documentation requirements and bureaucratic nonsense foisted upon me. I have watched my once noble profession abdicate all control to people who have no concept of what I do and care nothing of the ramifications of their decisions.
But make no mistake, there is a limit to what I will tolerate. When the value of my services is ever diminished, I WILL reach a point of no longer offering them. I will be taken for granted only so long. If you create an environment that does not reward my efforts, and in fact demonizes them, who will you convince to take my place when I am gone?
Monday, December 31, 2012
Where is health care going?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment