Friday, June 29, 2012

Homeschool Curriculum Plan

Since we decided to homeschool our future Kindergartener and 4th grader next year back in February, I have been surfing the internet looking into different homeschool curriculum.  There is so much out there.  It has took me months of research to find the perfect fit for our family and our goals for this coming year.  Finally, I have locked down all our materials and I am organized and ready for the upcoming school year.  Here is a list of what we are going to cover.

Bible

For our Bible curriculum, I have decided to go with Veritas Press study of  Genesis-Joshua.  Each Bible story can easily be adapted to K & 4th grade level.  We will use pieces of this OT lapbook and other resources pulled from Pinterest and homeschool websites to complete a lapbook/notebook for the year long study.

Math

I love the Saxon Math program.  When I homeschooled my son years ago, we used Saxon Math.  I am excited to return to this program.

Lyndsey will complete Saxon Math 1
Lauren will complete Saxon Math 5/4

Language Arts

Phonics/Reading
Lyndsey will continue with Sing, Spell, Read & Write.
Lauren will continue with Pathway Readers just like she was using at the classical school she attended. This will be used when we are between historical novels.

Spelling
Lyndsey's spelling is included in her phonics curriculum.
Lauren will begin the Phonetic Zoo.  I decided on this program because it is self-directed.  She will listen to a CD that calls out the spelling words to her.  It is a work at your own pace program.

Penmanship
Lyndsey will use My Printing Book

Writing
Lauren will use the Writing with Ease from The Complete Writer program.  

Grammer
Lyndsey's grammer is again included in her phonics curriculum.

Science

For science we are going to do an indepth study of Human Anatomy from Apologia Science.  The girls with use the same text book, but they will have age appropriate journals.
Lauren will use this journal for older elementary students, and Lyndsey will use the Jr. Notebooking Version geared for younger students.  We will also reinforce what we are learning by creating these lapbooks that were designed to go along with the curriculum.

History

In History we are going to use The Time Travelers History Study Series from Homeschool in the Woods.  My goal is to cover the first 4 sections of History--New World Explorers, Colonial Life, The American Revolution, and The Early 19th Century.  With each sections of time, we will also study the American Girl Historical Character that relates to the timeframe.  We have already completed our American Girl Study of Kaya to lead up to our study of New World Explorers, so you can take a look at what we did.  It was FUN!!!


Geography

We are going to work our way through the United States while we learn basic geography.  We will be using Discover America State-by-State Alphabet Series and their teaching guides to learn interesting facts about each state.  We will then complete notebooking pages for each state and we will cook a recipe from each state.  I in NO way intend on covering all 50 states this year!!!  I will focus on the East coast and the original 13 colonies first and if we have time continue moving east.  I have found that The Trail Guide to United States Geography breaks up the states into group/regions so the kids learn a region at a time.  
We will use the following books as a reference in our geography study.

Music/Art/Typing

Lauren will continue piano lessons.  I will incorporate many art projects into our science, history and geography lessons, but we will also try to learn a few things from Art with a Purpose.  Lauren has also been working through self guided lessons to learn how to type using Typing Instructor for Kids.


1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited you've decided to homeschool your younger girls! We had a blast this past year homeschooling Benjamin and are looking forward to year 2. Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete